Tuesday, November 24, 2009

#3 Penn Jillette


One of my biggest influences in recent years has been a magician. Yes, that does sound absurd. Who cares about what a magician says? Well this magician is not full of bull. In fact a lot of the things he says make a lot of sense to someone like me who has been disillusioned by party lines.
I came to a point in my life where I wanted to think for myself and not have others tell me what is and isn't right. I no longer wanted to be conservative or liberal, I just wanted to be me. What caused this change? I couldn't say for sure but it may have been motivated by me seeing some of my views as wrong.
Then I discovered a show by the name of Bull****. It's a show about some of the crazy ideas and views that many people have that are wrong headed. Its hosted by none other than the great duo of Penn and Teller. Teller doesn't do much talking (read: none), so Penn carries his weight. If you've ever seen it you would know that its a comedy. Its not in any way scientific or authoritative. But the views that are shared on the show make a lot of sense when looked at from an open perspective.
You may be thinking though that its ironic that I am influenced by a show into thinking I have laid out my own views. You would be right except that I really don't agree with everything that they say and that some of the views that we share are views that I had way before I was watching the show. It really just helped me to be more open to new ideas, and that's one of the things the show is about.
I really would like to meet Penn Jillette. I would have a lot to discuss with him. The first thing I would ask him is what set this fire in him to be so political. Then I would ask if he would sign my 'Don't Tread on Me' shirt. Why? Because that's what he is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment